Why does sleeping better matter so much? Experts tell us that with more quality sleep our bodies can restore itself. Our well-being and our overall health will improve.
We know that sleeping better is important, how do we go about it?
- Time out for caffeine – did you know that you should stop drinking anything caffeinated for at least 6 hours before you go to sleep? That afternoon jolt of caffeine should be the last time you indulge if you want to sleep soundly.
- Unplug – leave those devices alone. Or better yet, in another room. The lights coming from your devices will affect your levels of melatonin (the sleep hormone) and make sleeping more difficult.
- Change your mattress – If your mattress is too hard or too soft or over 7 years old, it is time for something new. Having the right mattress is essential to a good night’s rest.
- Exercise: making sure you get your exercise sets your body up for sleep success. Want to feel tired and ready to slumber tonight? Even 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise will help you to sleep better.
- Get outside and soak up that vitamin D. Not getting enough sunlight can lead to insomnia and sleepless nights. Who knew?
- Be cool – sleeping in a cooler room (think 66 or 67 degrees) will help your sleep!
- Turn them off – people who sleep in a darkened room have a better night’s sleep according to sleep studies.
- Consistency – Going to sleep and waking at regular times establishes a sleep cycle for your body. Keep those times consistent and your body will naturally go to sleep much easier.
- Sleep sanctuary – Experts tell us that a room with less clutter and that does not double as a home office or exercise room is the most conducive to a great night’s sleep. Your bedroom should be a relaxing, peaceful place in your home.
- Leave your worries behind – if you have a lot on your mind, keep a notepad next to your bed. Write down your tasks or worries when they come to mind. This way you know you will remember in the morning and can just let them go for now.
- Get relaxed with a massage. Our friends at Spa 131 create a unique experience that will enliven your senses while calming the spirit, leaving you with a restored feeling of serenity.